A Bath city centre restaurant received a one-star hygiene rating because inspectors were “concerned” about contamination and food poisoning.
Thai Balcony on Saw Close was given the low score after safety and hygiene inspectors made an unannounced visit on July 21.
The inspector found that customers were at risk of food poisoning because cleaning cloths were being kept next to the area where raw meat and fish was prepared.
This means the cloths could easily come into contact with the raw food and could spread harmful bacteria if they were used to clean afterward.
The official report reads: “I am very concerned about your current area for cutting raw meat and fish.
“The cleaning tools you kept for cleaning the sink were worn and close enough to the sink that they could easily become wet with liquid from the raw meat and fish.
“If you use them to clean the sink, you can spread harmful bacteria on surfaces and contaminate any food handled there.”
Food was also being stored in fridges which were too warm. The legal maximum temperature for a fridge is 8°, but the recommended temperature is between 2° and 5°.
However, the fridge which stored the meat in the restaurant was found to be 19.4° and a fridge storing fish was 14.8°.
As a result, customers were at further risk of developing food poisoning.
The report also reveals there was a build-up of “dirt and grime” in the kitchen area which should be deep cleaned immediately.
The manager of Thai Balcony said they had carried out all of the recommendations and another visit is going to take place soon.
“We have done everything that they [the inspector] told us that we had [to do].
“Normally we get a five but this time there was something wrong.
“When the officer re-inspects, we will get a five,” she said.