KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – The risk factor violations at this week’s lowest scoring Knox County restaurant were those that could potentially make someone sick. The inspector has returned to follow up.
Hooter’s, 8050 Kingston Pike – Original Grade: 69, New Grade: 93
A score below 70 is considered unsanitary by the health department.
Employees were unaware of the illness symptoms. They’re required to be familiar with them so they don’t go to work sick.
The cook was seen drinking from an uncovered cup. They’re allowed to sip drinks, but the cup must have a top and a straw to prevent any accidents.
Some produce was stored under raw meat. That presents the potential problem of cross-contamination – juices from the raw meat spilling onto the ready-to-eat food.
Hooters has been reinspected and the new grade is 93.
More online: Read this week’s full inspection reports
Cinnabon & Auntie Anne’s, West Town Mall – Original Grade: 70, New Grade: 100
That’s just passing. A worker did not wash her hands. She had been drinking from an unapproved drink cup and did not wash up as she began preparing food.
A jug of milk was found without a date mark on it. The date of first use is required. It eliminates guessing as to when the milk was first opened.
When the inspector looked into the ice machine, it was dirty.
The restaurant has been checked again and the new grade is a perfect 100.
Best Bagels & Deli, 120 S. Peters Road – Original Grade: 73, New Grade: 93
That’s passing, but there were risk factor violations.
The temperature of cream cheese and cut tomatoes were too warm. A temperature of 41 and below is the correct cool temperature to kill bacteria.
The manager was not aware of employee health symptoms. The inspector did some on-the-spot education.
When he checked, the inspector found the food slicer was dirty.
Best Bagels & Deli was checked again and the new grade is 93.
Top Scores of the Week:
- K Brew, 1139 Broadway – Grade: 100
- Corner Lounge, 842 N. Central Street – Grade: 100
- Honeybaked Hams, 7205 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Clean Eatz, 155 West End Avenue – Grade: 99
- KFC, 1030 Shumard Avenue – Grade: 99
- Cook Out Restaurant, 321 N. Cedar Bluff Road – Grade: 98
- Olive Garden, 7206 Kingston Pike – Grade: 98
- Papa John’s, 7020 Maynardville Pike – Grade: 98
- Longhorn Steakhouse, 11644 Parkside Drive – Grade: 98
- Buffalo Wild Wings, 11431 Parkside Drive – Grade: 98
- Arby’s, 6909 Kingston Pike – Grade: 98
- Burger King, 7206 Region Lane – Grade: 98