Ever notice how raw foodists have great skin? One of the major points supporting a raw food diet is the amazing, youthful appearance that goes along with the weight loss and exuberant energy levels. This article will explain some of the reasons why raw food can lead to youthful skin. We’ll also cover ways that raw foodists may risk damaging their skin over the long term.
Mechanisms of skin aging
Skin aging is a complex process. Dermatologists distinguish two types of aging skin: chronological aging and photoaging. These two aging patterns are typically found at the same time, but have different symptoms. Chronologically aged skin sags due to the breakdown of the underlying elastin fibers, while photoaged skin shows wrinkles and spots of hyperpigmentation.
Both forms of aging occur due to damage caused by inflammation and free radicals in the skin. UV radiation, stress-induced systemic inflammation, and toxin-induced local inflammation are the primary culrpits. When these forms of molecular injury occur, tissue-chewing proteases like collagenase get activated to remove the damaged material. When this process occurs enough times in one place, a wrinkle forms. So the name of the game in fighting wrinkles is never to allow the damage (i.e. inflammation) occur in the first place.
Skin Care Benefits of Raw Foods.
Raw foods are extremely helpful for the preservation of wrinkle-free skin. This admirable feat is accomplished in a variety of ways.
1. Antioxidants Raw foodists take in a much higher load of antioxidants like vitamin C and phytonutrients than people on a cooked food diet. As a result, more free radicals are stopped in their tracks before causing damage to skin tissue and generating inflammation.
2. Toxin-free Toxins associated with cooking food are eliminated from the diet entirely. One type of toxin derived from cooked food is known collectively as advanced glycation end products. These sugar-protein complexes get stuck in the system and create local sites of inflammation by disrupting cell-cell interactions.
3. Hormone-free = Stress-free By eating no meat and avoiding dairy, raw foodists reduce systemic stress caused by dealing with animal hormones. Raw foodists frequently report a more peaceful disposition once they have adopted the diet. By reducing stress, a major source of wrinkles is dropped.
4. Deeper sleep When your digestive process is moving along at full speed, your body can focus more on sleeping. That drain of energy that occurs after eating a big steak– it may feel like you’re getting some rest, but it’s coming straight out of your energetic bottom line. Your body, and especially the skin, repairs itself during sleep cycles. Eating raw food helps you do that.
Skin Care Caution for Raw Foodists
While raw food offers many benefits that balance out strongly in the positive direction for skin care, a few important issues need to be considered.
1. Nutrient deficiencies Raw foodists can come up short in key nutrients for the skin. Among these, omega-3 fatty acids and carnitine are often deficient in the raw food diet.
2. Protein deficiencies Adequate skin repair requires protein. When you are getting enough protein, your body can do the important work of filling in gaps and wrinkles before they become permanent.
3. High-glycemic inflammation Inflammation-producing toxins like the advanced glycation endproducts we described above can form in the body due to very high blood sugar levels. This is one way that eating too many fruits unbalanced by fiber and protein can paradoxically lead to more wrinkles.