If you want to live a long and healthy life, controlling your blood sugar is very important. Diet plays a very important role in lowering your blood sugar. There are many foods and supplements that help to reduce blood sugar levels. By incorporating these foods in your daily diet, you can keep your blood sugar levels under control. The following are some foods that help to lower your blood sugar:
* Cinnamon: It has been proved that if you eat this spice daily, it will successfully lower your blood sugar levels. It can also be consumed as a tea. It also reduces the LDL cholesterol level. It has a high fiber content and contains magnesium which helps in lowering blood sugar.
* Onions: A daily diet of 20-25 gms. of raw onion helps to lower blood sugar. Onions contain a high percentage of sulphur and flavonoids which also raise the HDL cholesterol level and prevent cancer.
* Garlic: A daily diet of garlic helps to lower blood sugar by increasing insulin production by the cells of the Pancreas. It contains a lot of antioxidants. It also contains the cholesterol level and fights cancer.
* Trace minerals: Trace minerals like zinc and chromium help in the production and storage of insulin within the body. To add these minerals in your diet, you can eat foods like lettuce, onions, tomatoes, oysters, liver, whole grain, almonds, chicken etc.
* Avocado: Avocado is actually a fruit which helps to lower blood sugar levels.
* Flax seed: Ground flax seeds contain minerals like magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids and various antioxidants. They help in reducing blood sugar and prevent certain types of cancer.
* Barley and oats: For those who want to reduce their blood sugar levels, these are good alternatives to rice or other high glycemic foods. They also help to lower the cholesterol level.
* Lemon: Lemons contain a high level of vitamin C and various antioxidants. They help in lowering blood sugar, cholesterol and prevents cancer.