KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WATE) – Both of this week’s low scoring restaurants have been reinspected. Inspectors do a lot of teaching when they go into a restaurant. They work with managers to make sure these critical food preparation practices are followed.
A violation of these risk factors could lead to foodborne illness if not corrected.
Echo Bistro, 5803 Kingston Pike – Original Grade: 71, New Grade: 94
The inspector found moldy sweet potatoes and squash. They were immediately thrown away.
When the inspector checked pots and pans, she found clean kitchen equipment stored in a dirty container. Lots of things were dirty in the kitchen, including the grill and fryer basket.
When ready-to-eat food was checked in the refrigerator, there were no date marks, Date of first use marks are required, and once opened, food must be used within seven days to assure freshness.
Echo Bistro has been reinspected and the new grade is 94.
McDonald’s, 11205 Kingston Pike – Original Grade: 78, New Grade: 98
The cook was observed handling raw food, then touching ready-to-eat food without washing his hands as required by health rules.
An employee was also observed sipping a drink in the kitchen area, but the cup did not have a straw, which is required to prevent any accidents.
Finally, employees were wearing jewelry. By wearing a ring on your finger, you cannot wash your hands effectively. Jewelry may also drop into food, causing a contamination issue.
McDonald’s was checked a second time and the new grade is a respectable 98.
Top Scores of the Week:
- Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe, 6100 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Turkish Market, 8078 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Salsarita’s, 570 E. Emory Road – Grade: 100
- Panda House, 9209 Middlebrook Pike: Grade: 100
- Applebee’s, 5316 Central Avenue Pike – Grade: 100
- Dunkin’ Donuts, 4466 Western Avenue – Grade: 100
- Marco’s Pizza, 7327 Clinton Highway – Grade: 100
- Saddle Bags Grill, 8503 Old Rutledge Pike – Grade: 100
- Wild Love Bake House, 1625 N. Central Avenue – Grade: 100
- O’Charley’s, 8077 Kingston Pike – Grade: 99
- Cracker Barrel, 1510 Cracker Barrel Lane – Grade: 98
- Tomato Head, 12 Market Square – Grade: 98