This Mexican shrub’s leaves have a similar taste and nutritional value as spinach, but unlike spinach, it’s very dangerous to consume raw.
Hydrogen cyanide lurks in chaya, which can cause death by oxygen deprivation if you consume too much. To prepare this leafy treat, simply boil the leaves for at least 20 minutes and don’t inhale the fumes or steam.
One important note: don’t use an aluminum pan to prepare your chaya. This unfortunate combination causes explosive diarrhea.
Next: Walter White would love these beans raw.